Wednesday, March 18, 2020

My little 401 overalls

I was just thinking of when I was in the second grade at Curtis School out from Elba. I will start by saying that daddy was a carpenter and he wore overalls. He had some dark denim ones with a pocket up top on the bib. It had the number 401 on it. Daddy wanted me to have a pair of overalls and I suppose he wanted them like his because that is what they turned out to be. One day the three of us went to Perry's Country Store where they sold overalls and sure enough they had some in my size. I don't think mama liked the idea too much but she went along with daddy. I liked having a pair like daddy and... Leroy Rushing. Leroy was a fellow classmate of mine. He had a rough raspy voice even at his young age. He wore 401s too. 
Mama let me wear my new overalls to school one day and as I entered our classroom I saw him...Leroy Rushing, standing up at the back of the room facing me and wearing his 401 overalls, just like the ones I had one. He squashed my smile when he said, "It ain't funny, Glenda Williams, I can tell you that. Someone got killed." Whoa!!! I replied, "I'm not smiling about that. I'm smiling 'cause we got on overalls just alike." I enjoyed my overalls even though I didn't get the thrill I was expecting when I entered the classroom at the end of the hall. Leroy wasn't a bit impressed with my 401 overalls.

No comments: