Monday, January 25, 2021

Homemade biscuits





Oh my! I have been watching "Cooking with Brenda Gantt," and seeing her make biscuits. A friend, who I will not name, posted a Mama's Famous Dinner Roll recipe on FB, and I was game to try it this morning. Oh boy! I could blame it on my oven not being hot enough at 350 as the recipe suggested, my amateurism (can you believe that one?), or who knows what, but mine were not good. 

The biscuits gave me a good reminder of my daddy. All my life daddy had a little rock he would show me, or it would always turn up someway, and he said it was one of Mama's first biscuits she made when they first got married. The rock looked just like a small round biscuit baked just right, but hard as a rock. Well, it was a rock!!!

Oh Mama. It still brings a chuckle as I remember her always saying, "Oh Grady, it ain't dunn it!" Probably if daddy was still around, he would slip one of my morning biscuits in his pocket to remind me of my attempt at biscuit making and yes, he would show it to me from time to time and anyone else who would listen.

No comments: