Thursday, October 29, 2020

Slaves





I love reading whole books of the Bible at one sitting. Recently I read the book of Ecclesiastes. It has only 12 chapters and was written by the wisest man who ever lived, King Solomon. You will remember God told Solomon He would give him whatever he wanted, and Solomon asked for wisdom. So he was wise. We can believe that and know it to be true.


This morning I picked up the copy of my Good News Today Bible, which at one time had belonged to Luther Warrick. I picked it up at a thrift store and that is the name engraved in gold on the front leather cover. I'm sure Mr. Warrick would be delighted that someone was enjoying his Bible. Well, enough about that. I will get to my point. 


In Ecclesiastes the second chapter starting in verse four, check this out with me. Solomon said: "I accomplished great things. I built myself houses and planted vineyards. I planted gardens and orchards, with all kinds of fruit trees in them; I dug ponds to irrigate them. I bought many slaves, and there were slaves born in my household…"


Whoa!!! What did he say? "He bought many slaves, and there were slaves born in his household?" This goes back to Bible days, does it not?


I remember also that Joseph's brother sold him as a slave. He ended up in Potipher's house in a high position. He was assistant to the King himself. Joseph told his brothers years later that they meant it for evil, but God meant it for good (Genesis 50:20). 


We need to let down our buckets where we are, pour potting soil in them, and plant zinnias. That's the way I see it.


No comments: