Monday, June 22, 2020

I'm doing it for the Lord

I have a first cousin in Snowden, AL whom I love dearly. Barbara Bryant Haire and I spent the night  with each other as teenagers and through the years we have reconnected from time to time. I was delighted recently to learn of Barbara’s
continued love for the Lord and her dedication in working for Him. For the past two Thanksgivings we have been invited to join her lovely family for the noon meal.

The thing I want to share about Barbara is something I love to think about. She prepares the Lord’s supper on Saturdays for the Liberty church at Hope Hull, AL. Barbara went into great detail one day telling me how she makes it on Saturday. She said, “I take great pains to do it just right, mix it, roll it out, mark it with a fork so it can be easily broken. I take this very seriously because I’m doing it for the Lord.”

Ahhhh, there you are. That’s the key sentence. Did you get it? She said, “I’m doing it for the Lord.” Think about the statement, “doing it for the Lord.” What if everything you and I did we remembered we were doing it for the Lord? What would that entail? 
  1. We would approach the task at hand with a happier attitude. We would be excited that we had the opportunity to do something special for the Lord of Lords and King of Kings.
  2. We would work at it diligently to make sure it was just right. We would not slack off.
  3. We would not use inferior products. If it was for the Lord it had to be the very best we had to work with and give.
  4. We would not take short cuts in making this product because the Master would be using or grading our work. Only the best of the best for the Savior could be used.
  5. We would take great pride in our work and finished product. I think we would probably smile while we work, whistle or even sing because of our joy in working for the Master.
  6. We would look at the finished product with great pride.
  7. We could rest from our labors and be content to know that we had done our best and given the best we had to give to the One who gave His all for us.

Oh my, can we not see that each day we are given to use for the Master? We are given another day to work, sing, and whistle as we go about dedicating each day to Him. What a blessing to have the opportunity to know the King of Kings and to live and serve Him daily in this life knowing that our reward is waiting on the other side.  Be joyful today!                                 

No comments: