Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Memories are made of this

I was looking through my jewelry box yesterday and ran across the little ring which I wore as a little girl. It is made of copper and has a "G" on it. I remember being disappointed when it broke underneath and mother told me I needed to not wear it anymore but to put it up and save it. That memory was so precious to me. Then a little later I decided to put mother's afghan in the cedar chest and laying on the top shelf was my little dress. Mother had saved the dress. So I would know about it she left a note in the pocket. Mother made the little dress for me. The note says I wore it when I started walking. Though it is worn and tattered now and wouldn't be treasured by anyone else, it is so precious to me. On the collar she embroidered little rosebuds I think. She put piping around the waist which is no small thing. She appliqued the little ship on the bodice front. She took tiny rickrack and added it in just the right places. I look at it and see her handiwork from long ago but most of all I see her love for the little girl she wanted after having two boys, After she gave birth to me in the front room of the small government house between Elba and Opp, Daddy said to her, "You have your little girl now. You won't ever have to go through that again." So their family was complete. The memories are sweet. (Originally published May 18, 2018, on FB)








No comments: