Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Hiding and Hunting Easter Eggs at Grandma's house

Hiding and hunting Easter eggs was always a fun time for me. I was watching the squirrels this morning as they played around a knothole in an oak tree out back and it reminded me of the time my cousins and I were hunting Easter eggs which had been hidden for us to find. We were at Grandma and Grandpa Bryant's house on Cool Springs Road in Opp, AL. I was in the backyard with Easter basket in hand looking everywhere I could to find the most eggs. I saw this tree stump about half my height which had a hole in it. I thought the stump hole certainly would be a good place to drop an egg in it. I rushed to the stump and something stopped me before I stuck my hand down in the hole to hopefully find an egg. I looked over in the hole and there was one hidden in the hole for sure but I was glad I looked before reaching for it. Two eyes were looking up right at me! I yelled and ran for help alerting those older that there was a snake in the stump hole. I don't remember who got the snake out of the hole but it was a good thing I didn't reach in there before looking. If memory serves me correctly, it was a rattlesnake. I can only imagine...  (Orig. publish on FB, 8-13-2018)

No comments: