Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Hunting in the Night with Julie and Daddy

Julie was a special dog. My uncle gave her to us, and we were mighty proud of her. She had short brown hair and the prettiest tail that curved around. I liked Julie a lot. Julie was smart, too. She could go hunting all by herself. I remember the night well when we heard Julie barking down at the edge of the woods behind our country house on Route 4, Elba. Our house was quiet, so it was easy to hear her. I had just gotten out of the shower and had shampooed my long hair. I was ready for bed.
Daddy said, "Glenda, Julie has something treed down at the edge of the woods. Go with me and hold the flashlight and let's see what she has treed." I pulled on my housecoast. He grabbed his gun, and off to the woods we headed. I guess it must have been about ten o'clock at night. Too late to go hunting, I know that for sure. Nevertheless, off we went across the field to find Julie. I shined the flashlight and there stood Julie looking up from the base of the tree. "Shine the light on up the tree," Daddy said. I did, and sure enough, there was something in the tree. Julie was so proud of her prize and that we had come to get it for her.
Daddy took aim, and he was a good shot, I have to say. Down the thing came. It didn't take long at all to know this thing was not something that should have been angered or shot! It was a SKUNK, and it sprayed all of us good. Oh my! Talk about taking your breath away? We got ourselves back to the house, struggling to just get some sort of fresh air. Julie stunk, Daddy stunk, and I stunk. I had to rebathe and wash my hair. I thought I would never get that smell out of my clothes or hair. And you know what? My daddy was so tickled he could not stop laughing.
Well, that was my first and last time to go hunting at night with Julie and Daddy. It was a "stinking" hunt for sure!

No comments: