Thursday, June 18, 2009

Red Birds Out My Window


Spring arrived. We were at the kitchen table looking out the large double window as we ate breakfast and I saw them. Two red birds, a male and female, were gliding across the yard together. It was obvious they were a team, a pair, working together, and may I say lovers?

I have always resented just a little bit that the male red bird is prettier than the female. I like bright colors, especially red. Grandma Bryant always said "a little red will help anything," and I tend to agree with her. So red birds are one of my favorite birds. The woodpecker is second in line.

I watched the birds as the male sat at the feeder. The female was on the ground below. I noticed he got a particular seed in his beak and flew down where his lady was waiting. He walked over to her and for a moment I thought they were kissing. He gently touched his beak to hers and gave her the gift he had brought to her. She accepted it and he flew back up to the feeder. Again he brought her something and she took it. On and on this continued that day, and the next, and the next, and I got in dangerous poses at the kitchen window, trying to conceal myself as I snapped pictures.

I watched the little birds day after day as they worked together in their routine and wished to know even more about them. Sometimes they would sit at the feeder and still he would get the particular seed and take it to her. Wherever one was I could look and find the other nearby.

It was the most beautiful sight I thought I had ever seen. There he was showing love to her by staying with her, by providing for her, and protecting her. He was working with her in caring for her well being and no doubt showing his respect and love for her being the future mother of his children. And God planned it all, just that way. Is there not a lesson in this for us, the greatest of his creations? I think so. Learning a lesson from the birds--the bees were no where to be seen. Nature will teach us if we are receptive to their examples.













No comments: